Hi Mike etc,

The cell voltage longevity data is from the previous email I sent to the list
regarding www.batteryuniversity.com data (can’t remember right now, wrote down
the article number when I sent it from my iPhone).

I was questioning the 2013 Leaf manual assertion that charging the battery to
80% resulted in a longer lasting battery, looking for *real* data (since they
dropped the requirement in 2014 – apparently for marketing MPC reasons).  But
the Battery University data says that charging to a slightly lower final cell
voltage of 4.05V is 1200-2000 cycles (*much* more than 4.1V = 600-1000 cycles,
4.2V = 300-500 cycles) and since the Leaf actively balances, not just at 100%
it seems that the Nissan assertion that *80% charging* (especially when doing
short distances like my son does daily at 16 miles) makes sense.  Cor I think
mentioned that at “100%” for the Leaf is 4.12V so that’s in the 600-1000
cycles.  Si *if* you believe the data charging at 80% (2K cycles) will result
in a battery that will last *twice* as long as one that is charged to 100% (1K
cycles).  (May not be exactly twice since the 80% cycles are, well 80%).

Have a renewable energy day,

Mark

Mark E. Hanson

184 Vista Lane

Fincastle, VA 24090

540-473-1248 phone & FAX, 540-816-0812 cell

REEVA: community service RE & EV project club

Website: www.REEVAdiy.org (See Project Gallery)

UL Certified PV Installer

My RE&EV Circuits: www.EVDL.org/lib/mh