On 05/15/2017 04:09 PM, Jay Summet via EV wrote:
It would probably be quite difficult to convince the Leaf to use the
onboard charger while also moving.  You would also need well more than 6
kW of power to move down the freeway.

I haven't done it, but I figured defeating the "don't run while charging" feature would not be a big deal. You would probably want to relocate or replicate the Leaf's J1772 connector. I imagine Cor can tell us for sure what might work. When I had a Leaf. I pondered putting in 200-300 ah of 48v battery. 10-15kwh. That battery should fit inside the car. Good inverters are readily available and semi-cost effective for that voltage. You don't need to keep the car moving with the 3kw or 6kw charging power. The 1-2 hours the main battery lasts can be used to put in up to 12 kwh. Half a charge or another ~50 miles. You could carry an onboard 48v charger and supply it downstream from the J1772 connection.

The Prius retrofits were conceptually similar though I think they used a DC-DC to bring the low voltage auxiliary pack up to or maybe slightly above main pack voltage. Of course, that IS a charger. Off the shelf proven chargers and inverters seem like the safer path to me. It also has the advantage of not having to access the high voltage of the main pack.