Clearly what we need is a substantial expansion of Amtrak's Auto Train. (not kidding!)
Cal

conservation architect via EV <mailto:ev@lists.evdl.org>
May 16, 2017 at 3:33 PM
Thanks to those who replied to my inquiry. My instinct is that a real engineer with familiarity of the cars design would be needed to pull this off.

David Roden makes some very interesting points. He points out that the emissions are high for less regulated motors. The pollutants that he sites are CO, NMHC + NOx. This certainly give me pause for moving forward. CO2 is definitely a motivator for me. The emissions for this are gallons (10% ethanol) typical x 19#CO2/gal (epa website http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=307&t=11 ).

I have evaluated the actual gas mileage using David’s metric of m/kwh x speed to determine kwh/h or kw of continuous power. I would need 14.3 kw generator. Using this 15 kw generator http://www.electricgeneratordepot.com/generac-5734-gp15000e-15-000-watt-electric-start-portable-generator-992cc-ohvi I end up with a mere 18.75 mpg not accounting for the reduced m/kwh for the trailer. Our Honda Element (2nd car) gets 25 mpg. The trailer would only make environmental sense if we can go back to using renewable energy while we are at the destination. My figures are pasted in from spreadsheet below.

Though Davids prototype gets higher m/kwh than the leaf, I still promote the all electric car for local use. This 80 mile range achieves 75% of our annual auto transportation needs. We added photovoltaic array to produce as much power as this consumes. This greatly reduces our CO2 emissions for auto transportation.

Eli

Generator Evaluation
Milage (miles/kwh) 4.2
Average Speed (mph) 60