They are considering fast chargers this size in New Zealand, but cars have to be set up to use this much charger. There are several car manufacturers and charger manufacturers considering 10 minute 350 to 400 kw charging.

Most folks don't really _need_ 400 kw charging, but most folks don't need private jets either. They sell quite a few private jets.

Bill D.

On 9/6/2018 6:55 PM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
I think it's pretty common to have 13.8kV available to a business location. Usually a step-down transformer is provided at site but in this case, they may want to use 13.8kV directly.

The other factor which could make a huge difference is load leveling using a large battery. That would help as long as there's a modest amount of time between charges.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "EVDL Administrator via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "EVDL Administrator" <evp...@drmm.net>
Sent: 06-Sep-18 5:21:39 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: 400kW (1080mph) EVSE new2 GM> (not new-tech 2others)

On 6 Sep 2018 at 20:00, Alan Arrison via EV wrote:

Each charger would require its own electrical substation.

Really?  I'm far from an expert on electric utility issues, but 400kW is
about the total peak capacity of 4 recently built bloated McMansions (main
panel == 400 amps at 240 volts).  I don't see a substation for every 4
houses in those neighborhoods, but maybe I'm missing something.   And of
course those houses aren't all running at peak load all the time, either.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator