I didn't like the idea of thousands of little cells either, when I first
looked at the Tesla design.

The key word here is "availability", not MTBF, or reliability. The Tesla
battery can withstand many single point failures without affecting
performance or operation of the car, therefore the car remains available
in spite of failures.  Individual Tesla cells are also fused which reduces
fire danger. Single point failures in large format batteries cause greater
percentage degradation per failure.

I had a career in public transportation and availability of rolling stock
is a very important aspect of any fleet of buses.