How hard would it be to build a battery system that normally supplies 100% of the domestic power but, when depleted, switches over to supply domestic power from the grid ? Also, I think it would be safe assumption, or at least a reasonable simplification, to assume that the battery is always sufficient for the load, except when depleted. The battery would always be charging from a solar array, never from the grid.

It seems to me, a system like this would completely circumvent any negative conditions imposed by power companies. Of course, once the solar panels fill the battery, excess production is lost.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Robert Bruninga via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "Robert Bruninga" <bruni...@usna.edu>
Sent: 14-Jul-19 4:54:09 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Solar off grid with an EV? (transformers)

For what it is worth... For off grid or backup power,.I have some 500W and
2500W 120 VAC to 240VAC transformers.  Great for stepping up a single phase
120v generator to 240 VAC for a well pump or other emergency power needs.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/d/glen-burnie-v-transformers/6928546512.html

$30. Baltimore area.  Will not ship.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 12:40 AM Michael Ross via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>