On 9/1/19 11:28 AM, Damon Henry via EV wrote:
I know there has been a lot of churn the last few  years over Vehicle to Grid
technology.  I'm not sure how many people really want the utilities to take
over their vehicle state of charge, so I'm not sure how viable the whole
concept is.

With my grid tied solar system my solar stops producing if the grid goes down.
One way to prevent this is to have a battery backup system in place.  That's
usually an investment of at least several thousand dollars.

I have two factory OEM PHEVs sitting in my driveway with significant battery
packs.  I also have a Juicebox 40 for charging which has some charging
intelligence already built into it for their Juicenet program, but not really
V2G.  I feel like I am tantalizingly close to a great solution.

AFAIK, all car J1772 ports are inherently one way; they feed ac current to the onboard charger. One exception is Tesla where a single charge port either accesses the battery (at SuperChargers) or behaves exactly like a J1772 port. So, for home power from an EV, the chademo/combo port is a better candidate. The biggest problem seems to be that EV makers do not wish that to happen.

This V2H problem is something I've been considering seriously for several months. I have three electric meters and I got a PowerWall installed on one last year. I am extremely happy with the PW but much less so with "Tesla Energy", the Tesla branch that deals with municipal and residential battery backups as well as PV. It seems Tesla does not wish to sell many PWs. Anyway, I've been looking at other microgrid alternatives and have not found anything compelling. Jack Rickard (EVTV) is offering some interesting stuff, though.

I would like to have a cheap very minimal microgrid which functions like a PW. With the recent discussion of pulling up to 1kw out of any EV through the 12v DC-DC, I've become interested in trying to use an EV's 12v to add up to a kw to my imagined minimal microgrid. I've been experimenting trying to power an Enphase M215 from an EV 12v. I'm stepping up the voltage to 20-30 but have not had sucess. I do not understand MPPT and think that is the likely source of my trouble.

A minimal microgrid would be limited in power but could supply more than a PW's worth of energy over night.

So here is the question that I have.  How far am I from being able to utilize
my car batteries through the OEM port and an EVSE charger, to feed an inverter
and keep my house alive and my solar producing during a power outage?  Is this
tech currently being developed, or is it still just a dream that my come true
some day?

Word is, that Tesla has the grid or gridtie inverter already built into the power electronics. We hope that that V2H capability will some day magically appear via a software update. I see it possible that a Tesla could back feed through a Tesla "Wall Connector". Wall Connectors can do up to 20kw so it should be possible to supply a house via that route.

BTW - I have lived in my house for 20+ years and rarely lose power, but "being
prepared" is always on my agenda.  I suspect that if I really want a solution within
the next couple of years I will need to buy a separate battery for my solar system, or a
generator...

My situation is that I have up to 100wkh per day from PV but need only about 20kwh. So, I am selling most of my PV energy to my utility. During the day, I am awash in power. When/if the grid goes down, most of that power will go to waste.

I will hijack your thread and ask if anyone has microgrid suggestions or can give some guidance on using a gridtie inverter on not PV power.

I'm very pleased you brought the topic up.

Here is some discussion of augmenting a microgrid (or real grid) with EV 12v:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/audio-album-artwork-not-appearing.12635/