Yes, more safety can't hurt (especially the fail-safe, or nearly fail-safe
kind). I would highly recommend going with a well known and reliable BMS
system though, and not try and design your own. There are hundreds available
on the market already (DIY versions and marketed versions).

Did you settle on a voltage? 48V is my preferred system voltage for high
power, it's a good middle ground between the wire size and system component
issues of going with low voltage (very high current) and having to deal with
potentially dangerous to handle DC voltages on the battery side (you can
still get a shock from 48V, but not too bad). Your pack configuration will
depend on the inverter you pick, but "standard" for 48V would be 14s for
Li-Ion.