George Mullineaux via EV wrote:
Here at work, we have some evs for moving equipment and boom lifts. I was under
the impression that the slow charge after the 80% level was for deep charging.
We have two trolleys that have been charged in this manner for 6 years on the
same batteries. I wonder if maybe the fact that they are lead-acid makes their
charging properties different? I am not extensively trained with evs, just go
with what I have been told. I do love to learn.

Hi George,

Pretty much all battery chemistries (lead-acid, nickel-, and lithium at least) benefit from a slower charge rate as they approach "full". The rule of thumb is to slow down charging above 80% state of charge.

Over-charging also shortens the life of the battery. The extra energy doesn't get stored as charge; it gets converted into heat, gas, and other destructive side reactions. If it's a "flooded" battery with vent caps, you can replace the water lost. But you can't do this with sealed batteries (and all lithiums are sealed). They simply "die young" when enough over-charging has accumulated.

Hope this helps,
Lee Hart

--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery