evln via EV wrote:
There are ways around not having a strong internet connecion
to view youtube videos.

You could use
https://x2convert.com
  to convert the streaming video's audio to a .mp3 file you could
download and listen to.

If I remember correctly, years ago, Lee held bragging-rights to
having his internet access via an old 486 pc on outdated operating
system and outdated browsers.

Yep; guilty as charged. :-) All I had was dial-up, and my old Prodigy email program was still pretty fast because it didn't load any of the bloat. But it's long-gone. Any poor soul that tries to use dial-up on the modern internet is doomed!

I would have hoped by now that situation had changed when more up-to-date
PCs...

The PC itself isn't so much the problem. My current PC is an HP 6000 Pro, which isn't all that old. The problem is that I have a DSL line, which averages 100-200k b/sec. Fine for email, slow for bloated web pages, and terrible for video.

Also, I hate Windows, and so am using linux. For whatever reason, Youtube refuses to work with any of my linux browsers. The error messages say it needs HTML5; but my browsers work fine with HTML5 files from any other source.

Like Peppermnt
https://www.google.com/search?q=peppermint+linux
  or linux mint (or others)
https://www.google.com/search?q=linux+mint

I'm running Puppy linux. I've tried a few others, but got lost in "configuration hell". They might be fine for a linux expert, but I'm a rank amateur.

I had to upgrade to a new android 9 smartphone...

To show what a luddite I am, I don't *have* a smartphone! For one thing, the text is too hard to read for my tired old eyes. For another, my fat old fingers can't type on the tiny keyboards. I've tried a tablet, but even that's too small. (I'm reading this on a 17" monitor set to 1024x768).

Also I don't have cable, and don't watch TV, and don't play video games. And no facebook, no twitter... I don't use *any* social media at all.

Perhaps if Lee had one of these with a weeks worth of
video url links stored on it, when he goes out to do his
weekly shopping, he could stop off at a wifi site parking
lot and (legally) mooch some free internet to stream &
watch videos like everyone else?

Folks must think I lead a life of desperation without all the modern (in)convenieces of being totally addicted to a smartphone and endlessly immersed in the online world. Quite the contrary; I enjoy the real world a lot more than the online world! I have real friends that I actually see in person, and real hobbies where I build stuff that has nothing to do with computers.

The more time I spend online, the LESS I get done!

Lee Hart

--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery