On 8/25/21 1:30 PM, Peter VanDerWal via EV wrote:

You both get great deals.  My electric coop only pays their "avoided costs" for
any surplus electricity (trued up annually), currently that is less than 3 cents per kwh
(2.6 the last time I checked).
OTOH I'm still collecting on the PBI we agreed to when I first connected.  That
pays 18.6 cents per kWh produced, regardless of whether I use it or push it to
the grid.  However, that will run out in less than 2 years.

A couple years after that my 'grandfathered' status runs out and I'll be
switched to their new 'solar customer' rates, at that point it will cost me
over $800 a year just for the privilege of being connected to the grid.  iI
figure it will be cheaper to buy some used EV batteries and disconnect, which
is what I plan to do.

Of course I do not fully understand your situation.  But it appears you may have your PV paid for with the years of $.186 valued energy?  The stability of a grid connection is not to be taken lightly.  Will the $800/year surcharge overshadow the value of your production in the future?  Can you avoid that surcharge by just disconnecting your PV from the grid?  Though you are unlikely to be able to effectively use the PV energy if it is not grid tie, you can find other uses for it.  Charging cars.  Keeping grid down back up batteries charged.  Heating water during the day for night time use.  Cooling down the house while the sun shines.  Etc.

When I bought this place, I was not clever enough to shop for a good electric utility.  I lucked out.  Were I to move now, I would certainly take a very close look at the prospective utilities. Our coop has no generation of their own and they pay transmission fees on all out of area power that they buy for sale to members. That means they value the avoided transmission cost of customer generated power.  Much of our grid power is now coming from very cheap west Texas wind and, increasingly, west Texas PV.  That is transmitted as far as about 300 miles.  Maybe 400.  AND the coop seems to be legitimately member owned and operated for the benefit of members.   Member/utility relations are not at all adversarial.