On 8/26/21 12:22 PM, Peter VanDerWal via EV wrote:
You have to drive a lot for that to make any difference in your budget. 100kwh
costs around $10
where I live. I maybe charge at a supercharger 10 times a year so I’m getting a
free $100 a year.
Not worth talking about

I was a bit puzzled by the above response.  We were talking (I think) about the cost of away from home charging.  Home charging, indeed, does cost around $.10/kwh.  Those who pay for SuperCharging, pay about $.28/kwh.  Non Tesla fast charging costs around $.42/kwh.  At least I think those are the numbers that have been quoted.  I quoted a recent trip of mine and just counted the SuperCharge stops.  Ten plus one overnight destination charge. That would have cost a Tesla driver who does not have free SuperCharging $50-$100.  Estimated.  For about 2,000 total miles. I make about 10k miles of highway trips in a year.  So, $250-$500 worth of SuperCharging in a year.  For local travel on home charging, those miles would have cost me about $100 (at my $.03/kwh rate) or ~$300 for at ~$.10/kwh rate.

No, not a huge savings for free SuperCharging.  But, it should be more than $5k over the life of the car.

With Tesla opening the SuperCharge network to CCS cars, it will be interesting to see how the off brand networks (Electrifiy America, EVGO, etc) fare.  I predict another tremendous win for Tesla because SuperChargers are better sited, better maintained, and cheaper than the off brands.  In addition, those that have made non Tesla buying decisions will have more exposure to the value of Teslas.

While most people who drive Teslas charge at home (at least sometimes), there
are some folks that can't, for various reasons, and only use public charging
stations.
The total number who only use public chargers is probably a tiny percentage of
Tesla drivers, but I'd bet its still more than FCEV drivers; who are forced to
use public hydrogen stations because there is no alternative.