Mark, you certainly can choose not to address the inefficiency of producing hydrogen from electrolysis. But, in that case, I ask you retract your statements and opinions about how FCEVs can play a large role in our future personal transportation. You can't ethically have the latter without addressing the former.

Peri

<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mark Abramowitz" <ma...@enviropolicy.com>
To: "Peri Hartman" <pe...@kotatko.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 25-Aug-21 21:34:56
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Hydrogen vs Battery Power

Peri,

You raise good points.

I promised myself that I was going to avoid debating the question of what is
better (except to say that both are), and only correct easily correctable wrong
information.

But I will comment on your concern about hydrogen subsidies creating an
incentive to produce H2 from fossil natural gas.  I think that there is
actually no need to worry. But I find the question fascinating.

Sorry for not hitting everything.

I completely agree with you that you want to avoid incentives for using fossil
natural gas, and going further, eliminate subsidies completely.

Last point first. This is something I’ve already addressed in this thread.
Someone else mentioned it would take 10 years for self-sufficiency. That’s
pretty much about the stations. The report I referenced also talked about
self-sufficiency. But I think that we also need a self-sufficiency pathway for
charging infrastructure. That is very important. You need a self-sustaining
charging industry, and as far as I know, there is no pathway from the industry
of how to get there.

Your other point on subsidies. First, and for background, understand that right
now, hydrogen used in transportation is mostly NOT fossil natural gas.
California state law required a minimum 33% renewable content (the only fuel to
have such a requirement) which I think is now 40% , a requirement created when
the grid was about 19% renewable (maybe less). The actual performance was
probably 40-45%, but in recent times, it has been, according to CARB, over 90%.
Some station operators have reported 100%.

But will it happen in the future? And how to hydrogen incentives impact that?
These were your questions as I understand it.

So let’s look at the drivers towards renewable and green hydrogen. One is
customer demand, and how the companies are responding. When I chaired the
California Hydrogen Business Council several years ago, at one of our board
meetings, the OEMs that were present said that they wanted hydrogen to be
“green” because the environmentally oriented customers that were going to buy
their cars demanded it, so they were going to demand it. The IGCs in the
meeting, who I thought would object, were in agreement. Now that and $5 will
give you a cup of coffee. But the industry followed up with a declaration that
their goal was 100% decarbonized hydrogen by 2030, which was *15* years before
the grid would be decarbonized. Okay, that’s intent. But it’s dollars that are
where the rubber meets the road.

In California, there are a number of incentives that drive things towards
renewables versus fossil. I heard one company say that with the incentive
structure, you would be crazy to go in any direction, but renewables.

But putting aside these incentives, and maybe even more to your point -
production. Will subsidies push generation of fossil over renewables and green
hydrogen? Earlier in the thread I partially addressed this. I pointed out that
Plug Power (which *is* a client of mine) were building a number of electrolyzer
hydrogen production plants. This is all public information, and on their
website. Their CEO has said numerous times that at 3¢/kWh they can produce
hydrogen that competes with fossil natural gas-produced hydrogen. They are
building these plants NOW. So given green hydrogen that is cost-competitive
with what you don’t want, what will a buyer choose? Hint: Not the fossil
version. Over the next few years, the cost of production is expected to improve
even more.

Note also that it is widely known that renewables have become the cheapest new
energy, over fossil.

So the cost of producing the green hydrogen *is* coming down, as the cost of
renewables drop AND as the efficiency of electrolyzers increases (which is
happening), and cost of those electrolyzers drop.

That is why I think the incentive is NOT to produce hydrogen from natural gas.

Hope that helps, and thanks for such a interesting question that I’ve never
been asked before.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone