Indeed, efficiency is the key.
That is why I was not too worried about using the existing gas
connection for heating purposes, but switching to heatpump appliances
(which *move* easily 4x the amount of heat they consume) makes them an
easy winner in terms of efficiency.
As for using gas for cooking: it is easy to waste a lot of the heat,
never reaching the pot and being pulled outside by the hood vent, it
needs careful matching of pot side and how far you turn up a flame to
get the best efficiency - even the difference between placing a cover
on the pot or not, makes a huge difference. Induction cooking
guarantees almost all energy ends up in the pot, making its transfer
of energy much more efficient than a gas or standard electric stove.
Whether it is more efficient overall (including generation and
transportation losses) I am not sure, the drive for electric cooking
is mostly done to avoid the burn products of (mostly) methane
affecting our indoor air quality.
Regarding space heating, water heating and even clothes drying, a
heatpump certainly has the best cards for efficiency and as you
indicate, in conjunction with solar (on the home or local generated,
which avoids transportation loss and which *should* be unburdened by
transportation charges - but usually isn't) is a good way to avoid
burning fossil fuel to run the electric appliance.
Cor.