The new outdoor unit that I installed just required the unit to be
pumped to vacuum and checked for maintaining vacuum, which tells you 2
things: no leaks and no foreign materials that are outgassing/boiling
in the lines. Then it is just a matter of opening the built-in
reservoir to release the coolant to fill the lines. But any HVAC
maintenance person can do this for you. The big money and time layout
is the installation of the indoor units throughout the homes, but this
can easily be done DIY if you are careful with the lines, so then you
only have a short visit from the HVAC person to connect the lines to
the units, pump to vacuum, fill the refrigerant and bring the system
up,
Cor.