On 21 Dec 2021 at 18:05, paul dove via EV wrote:

> Do you drive an ICE this way?

That's my thought too.  I do fine in an ICEV with a gas gauge.  And in an EV
I'm totally happy if I know the percent of charge remaining.  I can see
where it is and how fast it's falling, and adjust my driving to suit.

Heck, I drove a Comuta-Car with nothing but an expanded-scale voltmeter to
help me guess the state of charge.

I realize that there's an ignorance epidemic these days, but I hope that
most people sensible enough to own EVs are also sufficiently well educated
to know that a heavy right foot cuts EV range the same as it cuts ICEV MPG,
to watch the instruments, and to compensate accordingly.

And if the EV has enough smarts to estimate reasonably well how much range
is left, that's a nice luxury.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was
     because they managed to spend less money. A man who could afford
     fifty dollar boots had a pair that'd still be keeping his feet
     dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford
     cheap [ten dollar] boots would have spent a hundred dollars on
     boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

                          -- Terry Pratchett, "Men at Arms: The Play"