The thing is.... Tesla is the current leader in sales and technology when it
comes to electric motors.
They announced at the last investors day that they were going away from rare
earth elements in their vehicles in the future.They are going to produce a
permanent magnet electric motor with zero rare earth elements in it.
They claim that since 2017 they have reduced the use of rare earth usage by 25%
while increasing efficiency in the drive train.
I wouldn't expect China to produce anything worth having in the near future or
possibly at all.
Harbor Freight as been here a long time and most of their products are still
inferior.
China's culture is completely different than Japan not to mention all the help
Japan got from the USA.
We helped Korea as well and now you see a lot of their vehicles.
Here's the article about Tesla's plans.
 https:
//electrek.co/2023/03/01/tesla-is-going-back-to-ev-motors-with-no-rare-earth-elements/

There is a space after https: you need to remove so that the graphics weren't
included.

    On Thursday, April 6, 2023 at 06:18:22 AM CDT, EV List Lackey via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

 On 5 Apr 2023 at 18:17, (-Phil-) via EV wrote:

> This doesn't bode well for almost all EV makers outside of China:
> https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/world/asia-pacific/20230405-101753/

The sensible ones are already on it:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/china-frictions-steer-
electric-automakers-away-rare-earth-magnets-2021-07-19/

or https://v.gd/SnnDcU

That said, I expect that before long the Chinese automakers will do with EVs
what the Japanese did with small, efficient ICEVs in the 1970s.

Back then the big US automakers hardly bothered with small cars.  When they
finally did, they produced some pretty execrable examples (think Ford Pinto
and Chevrolet Vega).  When OPEC turned off the oil tap in 1973, Nissan (then
Datsun in the US) put up billboards that read "Datsun saves - about a gallon
a day." Their dealers and Toyota's had every 1200/B210 and Corolla sold,
with a nice fat dealer surcharge, long before it arrived at the dealership.

Today the mainstream automakers push hard on their high-profit big cars, be
they EVs or ICEVs.  This is true to some extent even here in Europe, where
small cars are still popular (and in some cases essential for narrow streets
and garages).

I expect that the Chinese automakers will quite profitably fill that gap.
Just as the Japanese did in the later decades, they'll probably use their
low cost small EVs to build loyalty to their companies, and later upsell
their customers to their larger EVs.

Chinese EVs are already beginning to make significant inroads here in
Europe, especially in Norway, where 2/3 of new car sales are now EVs.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

    A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular.
                                        -- Adlai Stevenson

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/