On 8 Apr 2024 at 12:53, Bill Dube via EV wrote:

> I suspect that the competition has recently heated up in the low end of
> the EV market. It has evolved into the inevitable "race to the bottom."
> I'm thinking that Elon has acknowledged the lack of profitability in
> this market sector and has decided to gracefully bow out.
>
> There was a news article in February that BYD launched their Qin Plus EV
> Honor Edition car for $15k USD. It looks to be a four (or perhaps five
> very slim) passenger sedan. $15k for a reasonably nice, basic, EV.

Interesting. is BYD really planning to sell that EV in the US and/or EU?  I
saw it mentioned recently, but it looked like they were offering it only in
China, at least for now.

In Europe, Stellantis and Renault are gritted-teeth determined to tackle the
cheap Chinese EVs head on, in the 19-23k euro range.  They say they'll build
theirs in Europe.

You may call that a race to the bottom, and I see your point, but I call it
opening up EV ownership to a wider range of people.  My impression is that,
on average, Europeans spend much less on their vehicles than Americans do.

Getting back to Tesla, you may be right that Musk has lost interest in
selling low-cost / low-margin EVs. He might have been keen on it back in
2008, writing it into his "master plan," but I think that his objectives
have changed since.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Time flies like an arrow.
     Fruit flies like a banana.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/