I believe it's a good thing. The master plan is sustainable transportation.
Elon's statement going balls to the wall for autonomy is a 10 billion dollar AI
investment in DOJO a kind of cyber training ground for FSD full self driving
and eventually optimus (a humanoid robot to replace human labor) capturing
massive video edge cases to process will make it possible to safely utilize the
onboard inference ADAS advanced driver assistance system computer in a Tesla as
almost all are now FSD equipped cars that mostly sits around doing nothing most
of the time to become available most of the time. This would utilize the
existing fleet thus reducing the need to manufacture as many cars if you can
wake up the fleet into robotaxies. This would drastically reduce transportation
cost. Material needs on and on.  Time will tell...Danny Ames
    On Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 05:23:03 PM PDT, EV List Lackey via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

 On 14 May 2024 at 10:35, Rush via EV wrote:

> I think that anybody having any knowledge of how a business is conducted
> would say that 'yes, profit is a good thing'.

Let's restore the context:

> AND still make a hefty profit on each car

As I understood it, and someone correct me if this is wrong, the original
Tesla "master plan" was to get to mass market EVs.  They'd start with
building luxury EVs for rich people, and use the presumably *hefty* profits
from that venture to design and build EVs for the rest of us.

That plan was written a long time ago - maybe 2008?  Again, someone please
help me out here.

The Model 3 was introduced 7 years ago, in 2017.  That was real progress
toward affordable EVs, 9 years on from the master plan's inception.  Not
bad.

Is that master plan still their guide?  If so, what progress have they made
on it since?

Not the Model Y (2020).  It's more expensive.

I'm pretty sure it's not the Cybertruck (2023), either.

It seems that since 2017, Tesla has gone into reverse on their original
master plan.

Their recent investor call suggested pretty strongly that they're going to
start using their EV profits less to develop EVs, and more to develop AI,
autonomy software, and robotaxis.

Their recent layoffs seem to confirm that direction.

What do you think of this?

Is it a good thing?

Is it likely to be permanent, or is it just another Elon Musk shot-from-the-
hip that he'll change next month or next year?

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

    If economists wished to study the horse, they wouldn't go and look at
    horses. They'd sit in their studies and say to themselves, "What would
    I do if I were a horse?"

                                                              -- Ely Devons

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/