David Heacock wrote:
> Cool. I always thought the idea was to reduce or eliminate the "pollutants"
> coming out the tail pipe? Is there now only one acceptable way to do that?

I quite agree. Our civilization seems addicted to the "monoculture" plan; giant
corporations making the same things for everyone on the planet. But
monocultures tend to become monopolies that force out any alternatives, and use
up vital resources. That doesn't work out so well when carried to extremes,
does it?

While I think that EVs will ultimately be the best transportation solution,
they shouldn't be the *only* solution. Petroleum is still a widely available
and extremely energy-dense fuel, and a tremendous amount of time and technology
has been invested in its use. The billions of existing ICEs are going to be
with us for a very long time, and they will need fuel. So I applaud efforts to
produce cleaner hydrocarbon fuels, and find ways to minimize the environmental
impact from their use.

There will always be companies that want to keep making the same old thing when
something new comes along. There were still buggy whip makers after horseless
carriages came out, and slide rules after pocket calculators were invented.
Toyota's move to stick with ICEs may be a reasonable in the short-term, and at
least they are trying to clean them up. Who knows... maybe someone will invent
a way to make "green" gasoline out of atmospheric CO2, water, and sunlight!

> I remember not so long ago a podcast from Europe where the big EV fan guy was
> saying Aptera's petition to have a standardized plug like the Tesla plug, was
> a stupid idea. Hum, how did that work out?

A standardized plug is not only a good idea; it is inevitable. Can you imagine
a world where different gas pumps were needed for Fords, Chevys, Toyotas, etc?
It would be unworkable, and would quickly lead to demands for standardization.
EV charging is the same; there *has* to be a standard charging connector if EVs
are ever to succeed in the long run. (And it can't be one that someone owns
monopoly rights to produce.)

Lee

--
Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James
--

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/