The problem is, I don't think Toyota (or anyone else) can make a significantly cleaner ICE. Reading between the lines, it seems they want to offset the CO2 by other means, such as buying carbon credits or generating bio fuels. But are they really going to get in that kind of business ? I doubt it. So, that would leave it to the consumer to buy carbon neutral fuel. What conclusion can you draw from that ?

Peri

<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

------ Original Message ------
From: "Lee Hart via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "Lee Hart" <leeah...@earthlink.net>
Sent: 22-Jun-24 11:29:55
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Troglodyte Toyta

David Heacock wrote:
 Cool. I always thought the idea was to reduce or eliminate the "pollutants"
coming out the tail pipe? Is there now only one acceptable way to do that?

I quite agree. Our civilization seems addicted to the "monoculture" plan; giant
corporations making the same things for everyone on the planet. But monocultures tend to
become monopolies that force out any alternatives, and use up vital resources. That
doesn't work out so well when carried to extremes, does it?

While I think that EVs will ultimately be the best transportation solution,
they shouldn't be the *only* solution. Petroleum is still a widely available
and extremely energy-dense fuel, and a tremendous amount of time and technology
has been invested in its use. The billions of existing ICEs are going to be
with us for a very long time, and they will need fuel. So I applaud efforts to
produce cleaner hydrocarbon fuels, and find ways to minimize the environmental
impact from their use.

There will always be companies that want to keep making the same old thing when something
new comes along. There were still buggy whip makers after horseless carriages came out,
and slide rules after pocket calculators were invented. Toyota's move to stick with ICEs
may be a reasonable in the short-term, and at least they are trying to clean them up. Who
knows... maybe someone will invent a way to make "green" gasoline out of
atmospheric CO2, water, and sunlight!

 I remember not so long ago a podcast from Europe where the big EV fan guy was
saying Aptera's petition to have a standardized plug like the Tesla plug, was a
stupid idea. Hum, how did that work out?

A standardized plug is not only a good idea; it is inevitable. Can you imagine
a world where different gas pumps were needed for Fords, Chevys, Toyotas, etc?
It would be unworkable, and would quickly lead to demands for standardization.
EV charging is the same; there *has* to be a standard charging connector if EVs
are ever to succeed in the long run. (And it can't be one that someone owns
monopoly rights to produce.)

Lee

--
Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James
--

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/