Missouri Evergreen made a change from separate records to allowing both on
one record about 5 years ago. We had many of the same reasonings that Will
outlined, especially duplicate records (or what seem to be duplicated to
the patrons) in the catalog. We did have libraries that felt that it was
still worth separating them, but when it came down to the amount of patrons
to whom it was important versus how much work and clutter it caused, it was
simply not justified anymore.

Our rule is if the *content* is the same, it can be placed together. We
have  +/- 10 page and +/- 3 cm. rulesw. Mass markets are never put on the
same record as hardovers, and of course if there is a different
illustrator, narrator, foreword, etc., they get their own records.