Hi Gina,

We're using Quipu for self-registration at NOBLE. Even though it isn't the
Evergreen self-registration form, I can speak to how we handled minors at
NOBLE and also at my previous consortium, which was in the process of
implementing Quipu when I left.

In both cases, we looked to how libraries were handling the issuance of
physical library cards to minors to inform our policy on how to handle
registration through our online form. In my previous consortium, we found
that the form parents signed on behalf of their children in most of the
public libraries included an agreement that parents are solely responsible
for their child's use of library materials. Since our eCard allows access
to electronic resources, like Overdrive, it raised the question of how
parents could agree to this term if they didn't know their child had
registered for a card. All of the other terms they agreed to did not apply
to the use of e-resources (e.g. to be financially responsible for the loss
or damage of physical materials). In cases where a minor self registered
and then decided to pick up a physical card, the library's requirement for
the parental signature was applicable, so we only worried about the
e-resource use. In this case, the libraries agreed to a policy where
children under 13 could not self register for a card. If a minor of the age
of 14-15 self registered, Quipu requested a parental email address and sent
an email at registration informing the parent that the child had registered
for a card.

At NOBLE, we went in a different direction. Very few of our libraries ask
that parents agree that they are solely responsible for their child's use
of library materials. Our libraries ultimately decided against setting any
age restrictions. There also is no email sent to parents of minors.

Does Bilbliomation's self-registration allow for access to electronic
resources? If not, I would think the best way to approach this is for
libraries to continue to follow local policies for requiring parental
signatures when the minor picks up the physical card.

I hope this helps!
Kathy
--
Kathy Lussier