From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Evil ? (was: Hypostases (was: Natural Order & Belief)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 09:19:08 -0500

Interleaving in bold
John
----- Original Message -----
From: Stathis Papaioannou<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com<mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 4:55 AM
Tom Caylor writes:
---SKIP

 Stathis Papaioannou:
People disagree on lots of things, but they also agree on lots of things, many
of which are on the face
of it either incredible or unpleasant - because the evidence leaves them no
choice. On matters of values and
religion, however, they disagree far more frequently. In the case of values
this is because they are not
actually disgreeing about any empirical or logical fact:
--who's empiria and who's logic? Are YOU the ultimate authority?--
 they are just saying this is the way I wish to live my
life, this is what I hold to be good or important, this is what I would like
other people to hold good or important.
--Doesn't everybody. including yourself?--
In the case of religion, people disagree because they are selective in the
evidence they accept because they
want to believe something.
--Everybody's prerogative.--
Jews believe that God spoke to Moses, but they don't believe that God spoke to
Muhammed. I don't think there is evidence that God spoke to either of them, but
if your standards of evidence are much lower than mine....
--who (else) told you which one is "lower"? Different, maybe. --
 and you accept one, you are being inconsistent if you don't accept the other.
That is,
if you think the sort of evidence presented in holy books, reports of miracles,
religious experience, strength of
faith in followers etc. is convincing, then pretty well every religion is
equally convincing.
--Logical flaw: different religions accept different 'holy' books (their own,
that is) you are in the joke when two people meet at the railroad station and
one sais: I am making a trip to a distant foreign country and the other sais:
me too, so why are we not traveling  together? --
 That is not the case if you compare the evidence for a flat Earth versus a
spherical Earth, for example.
(Watch out: Einstein reopened the scientific allowance for not only a
heliocentric, but a geocentric world with his NO preference in a relative world
(math would be complicated)
As for the Problem of Evil, that's easy: there is no evidence that there is a
God; if there is a God, there is no
evidence that he cares what happens to us; if he does care what happens to us
there is no evidence that he intervenes in our lives; if he does intervene
there is no evidence that things are any better than they would be if he didn't
intervene.
--Again, you consider YOUR evidence in YOUR logic. You have the right to do so,
but so has a religious person to his own ways.
I am not an atheist, because an a-theist needs a god (theos)  to deny and in my
belief system (based on those natural sciences I was brainwashed into at
college) I do not condone IN NATURE any SUPERNATURAL ideas. I just wondered why
the 'god-designers' made their idol(s) with all those human fallibilities
(vain, seek adoration, pick favorites, no criticism allowed, are vengeful,
irate, not impartial, influenceable, cruel, punishing even unjustly (punishing
for things by creational flaws etc.) and assigning this world to a creator with
such flaws...  And yes, I am an agnostic, because I am not convinced about the
superiority of MY ideas over the ideas of others.
--------
Stathis Papaioannou