  From: Brent Meeker
  To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:39 PM
  Subject: Re: Evil ?

  John M wrote:
  > Brent,
  > sorry if I irritated you - that is felt in your response.
  > ----------------------
  > You remarked:
  > (>">     Upon your:
  >  >     "...an unbiased sample, of the available evidence? " is showing.
  > -      Who is unbiased? )"<
  > You don't have to decide who's unbiased.
  > JM:
  > My question meant: NOBODY is unbiased. Not you, not me, whoever 'thinks'
  > has some position which is hard to overcome.

  Why should everyone "overcome" their position.

  > In the continuation I would appreciate to substitute your "opinion" word
  > by "belief system" - scientific or religious.
  > -----------------
  > " Is there no reason to prefer science to voodoo?"
  > Ask a voodoo official.

  I'm asking you.

  >A friend was raised by nuns in Chile and asked
  > "I was thinking..." whereupon the nun - educatrix shouted her down: "you
  > should not "think" you should "believe". (Have you ever believed a
  > science-book? Say: stories told by your college-professor? )

  No.  And if you ask a scientist if he believes some theory you'll either get
a funny look or an exposition on the evidence for and against.

  > You cannot exclude in reasonable discussions the religious vast majority
  > of humanity, - talking about a handful of 'free thinking'
  > fundamentalists (science-crazed  people) is a vaste of time.

  They are not "a vast majority" in most of Europe.  So it is quite possible
for there to be non-religious societies.

  >In our
  > western 'culture' the science-belief system is comparable mutatis
  > mutandis with the religious one - noting some differences WHAT
  > conditions are set for accepting an evidence (=truth).

  And is that difference unimportant?  Do you consider all belief-systems to be
equal?  If not, what makes one better than another?

  > --------
  > Your: "???" - look in your text for "imply".
  > --------------
  > Your par: "What's your evidence for that? ..."
  > You can pick the religious old, I can pkick the others, and tjhose who
  > changed (or abandoned at all) religions. I was referring to a "pristine
  > faith" of the young. The official religion of a country is politics. I
  > don't know about your statistical figures, but social (marital?)
  > pressure keeps lots of people as churchgoers from the many millions that
  > don't go. Even in countries of an 'official' state-religion.
  > --------
  > Finally:
  > "... in fact they all claim that they are immune from test.  This is
  > where they fail in their epistemological duty."
  >
  > You mean the epistemological duty YOU impose? They simply claim to be
  > immune from YOUR test, they have their own 'test' and 'evidence'.
  > That was my point.

  I think humans valuing knowledge is as fundamental as their valuing food and
sex. So there is a recognized epistemological duty.  Everyone, in every
culture, is contemptuous of the fool and a fool is someone who readily adopts
false beliefs.

  Brent Meeker