Brent: 2 quotes from your text:

1."You seem like the man who wrote to Bertrand Russell, "There is no way to
refute solipism.  I don't know why more people don't believe it."
-  - " AND: - -
2."So if you don't adopt solipism, if you assume there is some world outside
the flow of  your thoughts to which they refer, then a model of that world
needs to include time, both duration and direction."

\Both quotes refer to "A certain kind of" *solipsism,* mostly with
Schopenhauer in mind. How about adding other kinds to it, maybe beyond the
restrictions of our human (add: physicalisticly thinking conventional)
predictions? E.g. the personalized 'mini'-one (credit: Colin Hales) that
everybody has a 'self-(own)- formatted' (mini)solipsist image of the (YES, *
accepted* as 'existing') overall reality-world, based on the fraction one
received (perceived?) of it and interpreted according to his personalized
background-tool (genetic brain and stored(?) personal experience) -
callable: 'perceived reality' - ?

Why should such (freely) imagined world carry those figments of a 'physical
world' as does our human conventional science of today:

"if you assume there is some world outside the flow of  your thoughts to
which they refer, then a model of that world needs to include time,
both duration and direction."

Why did you omit causality, energy, gravity, (sub)atomic, etc. etc. to make
it really the world we developed over the millennia of ignorance?
Just imagine what you cannot imagine. Then assume whatever you like and we
can talk. Maybe in relations and complexity? Unlimited?
You presume a 'model' (one!) - indeed an image of what we established as our
figment. which supported an ingenious technology indeed,
an edifice of poorly understood phenomena with insufficient argumentational
explanations - *as* ALMOST good (where paradoxes and small
inequities (i.e. big catastrophes) still abound) .

I am talking about 'freeing up the mind' i.e. letting out more ideas than
'allowed' by conventional physical/mathematical
sciences or just plain old-Greek heritage. I don't claim to be smarter, only
more 'stuff'' is available in our enriched cognitive inventory of today.

John M

On 5/1/10, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> [...]
> of some other?  And if you have an answer, then why that answer
> instead of some other?
>
> So not only does option 2 lead to an infinite causal chain - it also
> requires an infinite chain of infinite chains of reasons to explain
> why *our* infinite causal chain exists instead of some other infinite
> causal chain.
>
> If you ever stop and say "because that's just the way it is", then you
> collapse back into option 1.
>
> Right?
>

> And do you believe this sequence will persist in
> producing orderly and consistent experiences?
>

> I do believe that.  BUT...why do I believe it?  Well, ultimately,
> there is no reason I believe it.  I just do.
>

> Then why don't you believe that a physical universe is a good explanatory
> model for it?  Or do you believe that and you're just playing at not
> believing it?
>
> Do you believe it?  And if so, why?
>
> I would expect an honest physicalist to say that he believed it
> because, given the initial conditions of the universe plus the causal
> laws of physics as applied over  ~13.7 billion years, it could not be
> otherwise.
>

> That's a particular model.  It's not why one "believes" the model.
> Actually an honest physicist or engineer never *believes* a model - he
> entertains it, he uses it, he considers it.  He prefers one to another
> because it predicts more of his experience or is more accurate in those
> predictions.  He only believes it in the practical sense that if acting he
> will act as if it's true.
>
> But I'm not sure where that leaves you.  You started with the Boltzmann
> Brain argument that our thoughts are probably mistaken.  But that "probably"
> depended on a certain model universes and how they work.  And it implied
> that having thoughts is already extremely improbable.  So if you have
> thoughts - and you must since you take consciousness as fundamental - then
> that already implies something about the world, i.e. it is not timeless
> since thoughts have duration.  So if you don't adopt solipism, if you assume
> there is some world outside the flow of  your thoughts to which they refer,
> then a model of that world needs to include time, both duration and
> direction.
>
> He has no *choice* except to believe it. require different initial
> conditions, or different causal laws.
>

> I thought you were not believing it because there were no initial
> conditions or causal laws or universe.  It's all what a physicalist would
> call an illusion - i.e. a seemingly coherent series of experiences that do
> not refer to anything but just are.  But then you seem to switch viewpoints
> and want to use the consistency of a solipist know-nothing position to argue
> about which universes might exist??
>
> You seem like the man who wrote to Bertrand Russell, "There is no way to
> refute solipism.  I don't know why more people don't believe it."

question with someone named Brent?

I go back and forth on whether I believe this.  I certainly believe
that there is a Brent out there somewhere who is experiencing the flip
side of this conversation, but not necessarily that there is any
causal connection between us.  And I certainly don't believe that
either of us has any choice in the path the discussion takes.

What would causality amount to in an Einstein-style static block
universe?  If it turned out that 4-dimensionalism was correct, what
would it mean to say that you and I are discussing this question?