On 07 Sep 2010, at 23:13, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 9/7/2010 1:48 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

on 07.09.2010 05:11 Rex Allen said the following:
On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Brent Meeker
<meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
On 9/6/2010 6:45 PM, Rex Allen wrote:

Put a different way:

According to physicalism conscious experience supervenes on quarks
and electrons. Quarks and electrons do not supervene on conscious experience.

I have just read Vital Dust, The Origin and Evolution of Life on Earth by Christian de Duve. One citation from the chapter The Future of Life (p. 271).

"We have reached a crucial state in the history of life. The face of the Earth has changed dramatically in the last few thousand years, a mere instant in evolution time, and it is changing ever faster. What would have taken one thousands generations in the past may now happen in a single generation. Biological evolution is on a runaway course toward severe instability.

In a way, our time recalls one of those major breaks in evolution signaled by massive extinctions. But there is a difference. The cause of instability is not the impact of a large asteroid or some other uncontrollable event. The perturbation is from life itself acting through a species of its own creation, an immensely successful species filling every corner of the planet with continually growing throngs, increasingly subjugating and exploiting the world. For the first time, also, in the history of life, natural selection has been replaced, be it only partly, by willful intervention on the part of a member of the bioshperic community. The facts are before us clear and unmistakable. Everybody can read the message and draw the obvious conclusions."

This means that conscious experience at least changes the movements of quarks and electrons.

I don't think that follows. Maybe as Rex said, conscious experience supervenes on the interaction of particles.

In which case the interaction of particles is not Turing emulable. If *we* are Turing emulable (in the "yes doctor sense"), then physicalism is wrong, and consciousness, including bodies observations, relies or supervenes on infinities of computations or number relations (or combinators relations, etc.).

Having said this your point does not follow, in the sense that even if consciousness supervenes on interactions of particles (non mechanism) this would not prevents consciousness to retroact on the particles, like when a painter moves ink and papers to express his artistic feelings. Another example: we may argue that guns and atomic bombs are produced in part by human fears.