On 1/29/2011 10:41 PM, Rex Allen wrote:
On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Bruno Marchal<marc...@ulb.ac.be>  wrote:
Rex,

Well here I disagree (with Wikipedia, not with Turing, although he is
responsible for this widespread misconception).
Well, I'll buy that, I reckon.  Though the usage of the term "infinite
tape" is pretty widespread.  I see it lots of books, when I google
around.

Often they use infinite tape.  Less frequently, infinitely extensible
tape, or potentially infinite tape.

Infinite is usually in the mix somewhere.

Does their (and Turing's) use of the term "infinite tape" reflect an
actual difference of opinion?  Or just imprecise wording on their
part?  Or does it really make no difference, given that it's just an
abstract theoretical concept?

If the tape were finite, there'd be no halting problem.