Dear Stephen (- and Friends, especially Bruno)

you quoted from Mauldin's p. 409:
--------------------------------
 “If an active physical system supports a phenomenal state, how could the
presence or absence of a causally disconnected object effect that state? How
could the object enhance or impede or alter or destroy the phenomenal state
except via some causal interaction with the system? Since the phenomenal
state is entirely realized at the time of the experience, only the activity
of the system at that time should be relevant to its production. The
presence or absence of causally isolated objects could not be relevant. This
is all the supervenience thesis needs to say.”
------------------------------------
which pushed me back into my doubts for 'causality': whatever we consider as
"causes" - of course WITHIN our mindset (=knowledge so far acquired about
anything) are parts of that knowledge of WITHIN (exclusivity, (rather
"inclusivity") what we sort of agreed upon during the past days). What does
NOT restrict the (unknown? unconsidered? not yet learned) content of
totality from influencing items 'within' (in our circle we include into our
'causality') from 'without' our limited knowledge circle. Influencing =
causing change etc., EXACTLY interacting - of  what is in our view of today
a "causally isolated object - contrary to the Mauldin text above.
Such argument requires (my?) totally interlaced (interactive?) complexity
image of the entire wholeness (aka "everything").
---------------------------------
A remark to your PS-mentioned reincarnation of souls: I used to be a
reincarnationalist in my young years until I started to question the WHAT is
reincarnating? Carne = flesh, forget it. A teletransportation is more
usable, but "of what"? The "soul" is a religious item to imply fear of not
following the rules. The body dissipates at death, the atoms are re-used
many times over, the functions (mainly mental, what we don't understand
today at all) are attributes to certain body-parts (that disiipate), not
"ding an sich" activities without substrate. Or are they? Do we have a
menbtality irrespective of our bodily built? Does a dead person's "mind"
(oops: soul!) live on and function? in what connection to the dead (and
annihilated) body? If we do not remember any past 'incarnations', why would
our present body/complexity carry on to the future? People die with very
relevant ideas halfway thought out. Why are they not completed?
Gone forever. - Teleportation ideas are no better: if the teleported mental
activity (SIC!) is continuing its existence (?) and THINKS that would change
the original 'persona' connection completely.  So common sense does not
support the today thinkable reincarnation ideas. It is only 'believable' in
faith without raising any "HOWs".

John M