On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>
wrote:

This example is not specific to brain replacement with
artificial parts. It could be that a biological brain contains
intelligent subsystems that don't communicate with the person
they are implementing.
In my hypothetical example the subsystem does communicate - when
it has something to say. The question is whether it contributing
to consciousness all along? This not really very hypothetical
since we are all familiar with the Poincare effect and in general
have thoughts pop into consciousness without any conscious
predecessors.
What's the Poincare effect? I don't get a clear answer when I
Google it. Is it the same as the butterfly effect?

No.

http://www.mathlearningcenter.org/resources/gene/archive/attending_to_the_subconscious

Please note that description is quite close to what Jeffrey Gray says: brain does something unconsciously than presents these results to the conscious display, then inspects it, and finally a Nobel prize is ready.

Evgenii