Stephen and Jason,
interesting discours, but you use concepts that beg for my questioning.
Dualism may be an observation based on phenomena we misunderstand and
explain to the level of "present" theories. A violation of the laws of
physics asks: are those "laws' really so true, or only a (statistical)
deduction of data we so far happened to observe? and that "substance monism"
(whatever it includes) is bound to the questionable term of "life".
Substance ( I go with Stephen) may be an illusion, depending how we define
an illusion.
Don't bother, I speak only my agnostic worldview, but it may be a different
point of view to add.
John M