On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> That reminds me an argument of Bruno in Lewis Carroll's "Sylvie and Bruno",
> about Spinach. If I remember well.
> Something like:  '---don't make me *love* spinach because thats really the
> worst possible which can happen for someone who *hates* spinach.'
>

> Bruno

Yes, ideas in opposition to one another are necessarily defined by,
and draw energy from, their opposite. So people attached to those
ideas, ironically enough, need their enemies as much as they need
their own beliefs. Emotional attachment to belief is the real culprit.
But we are hard-wired for that and have to train ourselves with
discipline to avoid it. What makes it harder is that identifying with
a particular belief system is anxiety-reducing, a source of comfort in
an uncertain world.

Terren