Just to clarify, when I say we need discipline to avoid getting
emotionally attached to beliefs, I don't mean it in the sense of
punishment and reward. I mean "disciplined" (not lazy) and rigorous
about always being willing to doubt what we hold to be true, and that
this goes against our natural wiring, so to speak. However I think
it's also important to realize that we use many of our beliefs
completely unconsciously and that many of these help us navigate the
world moment by moment, enabling us to make quick use of intuition,
and instinctual/emotional responses. Becoming and staying unattached
to belief systems is a luxury paid for in contemplative time and as
you say, mindfulness.

Terren