On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

> This does not mean that everybody has to agree with him [Feyerabend] but
> a statement about an idiot looks exaggerated.

If one can not use the word "idiot" to refer to someone who says things
like  "The church at the time of Galileo was much more faithful to reason
than Galileo " or " Its verdict against Galileo was rational and just" then
the word "idiot" should be removed from the English language because it
would never be appropriate to use that word against anyone under any
circumstances; but unfortunately it turns out that the word can be useful
a appalling number of times in everyday life and even more often if the
subject is philosophers.

It's especially ironic to hear criticism of my criticism of Feyerabend's
criticism of Galileo when Feyerabend, being a idiot, believed that all
criticisms were of equal value.

> His book Against method has been cited more than 6000 times according to
> Google Scholar

I don't doubt that for an instant, and I don't doubt that every one of
those 6000 scholars who spoke about Feyerabend in a positive light wrote
"philosopher" on the line on their tax return that asked about occupation,
which means that not one of them has made a contribution to philosophy.

  John K Clark