On Sat, Jan 7, 2012  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> You confuse naturalism (nature exists

I hope we don't have to debate if nature exists or not.

> and is fundamental/primitive)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to dislike naturalism so you think
there is no such thing as a
fundamental/primitive so it is always meaningful to ask "what is that made
of?". You could be right, or maybe not, nobody knows

> and rationalism (things works by and for a reason).

I don't demand that, things can be random.

> if you are willing to believe that your consciousness would remain
> unchanged for a digital functional substitution of your parts made at some
> description level of your body,

I do think that is true.

> then physics can no more be the fundamental science of reality

We already knew that because we can at least so far sill explain physics,
thus obviously we haven't gotten to the fundamental level yet, assuming
there is a fundamental level, and you could be right and there might not be
one.

> and the physical universe has to be explained in term of cohesive digital
> machine dreams/computation.

If you want a explanation then you can't believe that's the fundamental
level either and a way must be found to explain that ,and there is no end
to the matter.

> to believe that nature and matter is primitive gives a sort of
> supernatural conception of matter, of the kind "don't ask for more
> explanation". I am not satisfied by that type of quasi-magical explanation

If you're right then reality is like a enormous onion with a infinite
number of layers and no first level, no fundamental level because you can
always find a level even more fundamental. On the other hand the universe
could be constructed in such a way that you will forever be unsatisfied and
there is a first/fundamental level and when we reach it we come to the end
of the philosophy game, and there is nothing more to be said.

John K Clark