On 09 Jan 2012, at 06:56, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> But naturalism want to explain things by reducing it to nature or natural law,

If you want to explain X you say that X exists because of Y. It's true that Y can be nothing and thus the existence of X is random, but let's assume that Y is something;in that case if you don't want to call Y "natural law" what do you want to call it?

In the case which concerns us, Y is elementary arithmetic.

> Computationalism asks for an explanation for the natural laws,

And if found those explanations would be yet more natural laws;

After all you can. Elementary arithmetic is the study of *natural* numbers. But that would be a pun.

however we don't know that there is a explanation for everything, some things might be fundamental.

Yes. In the case of elementary arithmetic, we can even explain why we cannot explain it by something more fundamental. There are logical reason for that. But this is not the case for matter and consciousness, which admit an explanation from arithmetic.

I have a hunch that consciousness is fundamental and it's just the way data feels like when it's being processed;

Then it is not fundamental, and you have to search an explanation why some data, when processed, can lead to consciousness. If you define consciousness by the undoubtable belief in at least one reality, it can be explained why numbers develop such belief. But there is a price which is also a gift: you have to explain the appearance of matter from the numbers too, and physics is no more the fundamental science. The gift is that we get a complete conceptual explanation of where the physical realities come from.

the trouble is that even if consciousness is fundamental a proof of that fact probably does not exist, so people will continue to invent consciousness theories trying to explain it till the end of time but none of those theories will be worth a bucket of warm spit.

That's your opinion. The fact is that we can explain, even prove, that natural numbers are not explainable from less, and we can explain entirely matter, and 99,9% of consciousness from the numbers too, and this in a testable way (I'm not pretending that numbers provide the correct explanation). And we can explain completely why it remains "0.1% of consciousness" which cannot be explained, by pure number logical self-reference limitation.

> This does not mean it is always meaningful to ask "what is that made of?".

It is until you get to something fundamental,

You seem here to have difficulties to conceive that Aristotle primary matter hypothesis might be wrong.

then all you can say is that's just the way things are. If that is unsatisfactory then direct your rage at the universe. But perhaps you can always find something more fundamental, but I doubt it, I think consciousness is probably the end of the line.

That is already refuted once you take seriously the mechanist hypothesis. Consciousness is explained by semantical fixed point of Turing universal self-transformations. It leads to a testable theory of qualia and quanta (X1* in my papers).

> There are no thing made of something.

Good heavens, if we can't agree even that at least sometimes somethings are made of parts we will be chasing our intellectual tails forever going nowhere.

Something are made of parts. But not of fundamental parts. Time, space, energy, quantum states all belong to the imagination or tools of numbers looking at their origin, and we can explain why (relative) numbers develop that well founded imagination, and why some of it is persistent and sharable among many numbers. Imagination does not mean 'unreal', but it means not ontologically primary real.

> The idea of things being made of something is still Aristotelian.

Aristotle like most philosophers liked to write about stuff that every person on the planet knows to be obviously true and state that fact to the world in inflated language as if he'd made a great discovery. Of course most things are made of parts, although I'm not too sure about electrons, they might be fundamental.

Plato invented science, including theology, by taking some distance from the animal lasting intuition that their neighborhoods are "primary real" or WYSIWYG.

Aristotle just came back to that animal intuition, which of course is very satisfying for our animal natural intuition. But mechanism has been shown to be incompatible with it. (Weak) materialism will be abandonned, in the long run, as being a "natural superstition". Matter is only the border of the universal mind, which is the mind of universal numbers. The theory of mind becomes computer science (itself branch of arithmetic), and fundamental physics becomes a sub-branch of it.

> If mechanism is true, there are only true number *relations*.

I don't see your point. What's the difference from saying that gear X in a clock moved because of its relation to spring Y in the same clock, and saying that the clock is made of parts and 2 of those parts are gear X and spring Y?

You have to study the proof. Clocks are dreamed objects, like all "physical objects", and all "physical events". I don't know if that is true, but I know that this follows from the comp assumption. I can explain if you are interested, patient and serious enough.

> I am not sure things can be random, nor what that would mean.

It would mean a event without a cause and I don't see why that is more illogical that a event with a cause.

An event without a cause/reason, is no better than creationism. It is a way of saying "don't ask", unless you can explain why it has to be so (and get some meta-reason for absence of cause/reason, like we have for the natural numbers).

> If mechanism is correct, physics becomes independent of the choice of the fundamental level,

Choice of the fundamental level? There can only be one fundamental level, or none at all.

Up to a recursive isomorphism. With mechanism, physics is retrievable by the postulation of any mathematical Turing universal system. The laws of physics and consciousness are independent of the choice of that universal system, and we have to explain why some seems to be statistically winning, like the quantum machinery.

> for the numbers (or the first order specification of a universal system) I can prove we cannot derive it from something simpler.[...] I can't find something more fundamental than the natural numbers

OK then numbers are fundamental, and the lifeblood of computers are those very same numbers, so if asked how computers produce consciousness there may be nothing to say except that's just what numbers do.

Why? On the contrary, you can explain, by using only the laws of addition and multiplication, why and how some numbers (the relatively universal one) discover both matter and consciousness when introspecting themselves, and this in a so precise way that it makes the number physics comparable with the observations.

> actual QM (à-la Everett/Deutsch) assumes computationalism and the SWE. But computationalism has to explain the SWE.

Numbers can certainly describe the Schrodinger Wave Equation, the question you're really asking is why does the universe operate according to that equation and not another?

Yes.

Everett has a answer, it may or may not be the correct answer but at least it's a answer, because that's the universe you happen to be living in and you've got to live in some universe.

Everett is wrong here. because, by UDA, once you postulate comp (as Everett does practically) we are not living in physical universes. Physical universes becomes more abstract gluing arithmetical number's dream conditions. Everett, like many, is still under the Aristotelian's spell. But his conception of physical reality is the closer to the necessary comp conception. UDA really explains this, and AUDA explains UDA entirely in arithmetic.

Another explanation is that the link between Schrodinger's equation and matter is fundamental, after all, you said numbers are fundamental but you didn't say that's the only thing that is.

Numbers (up to logical equivalence) are provably fundamental. You really cannot explain them from less, for logical reason.

> God created the natural numbers, all the rest are (sharable) dreams by and among relative numbers. I am not saying that this is true, but that it follows from the belief that consciousness is invariant for digital functional substitution

OK, I'm not sure I agree but I see your point. I suppose it comes back to the old question, were the imaginary and irrational numbers invented or discovered?

Except that now we have the answer, at least if we believe that consciousness is invariant for digital functional substitution. In that case we know that everything is *discovered*, and are either numbers, or necessary numbers tools (from irrational numbers to analysis and physics) that the numbers discover when trying to understand themselves. This leads to a simpler theory of everything than QM, for example elementary arithmetic. The theory of everything becomes:

Ax ~(0 = s(x)) (For all number x the successor of x is different from zero).

AxAy ~(x = y) -> ~(s(x) = s(y)) (different numbers have different successors)

 the addition laws:

Ax x + 0 = x  (0 adds nothing)
AxAy  x + s(y) = s(x + y)   ( meaning x + (y +1) = (x + y) +1)

and the multiplication laws

Ax   x *0 = 0
AxAy x*s(y) = x*y + x

In that theory QM (swe) is false or redundant. You need also to accept the classical theory of knowledge and belief (the modern rendering form, made possible by Church thesis, of the Theaetetus' idea described by Plato).

Pythagorus was right. Assuming we are digitalizable machine, there is no choice in that matter, by UDA.