Hi John,

1. I see the Big Bang theory as a theory, an explanatory model that attempts to weave together all of the relevant observational facts together into a scheme that is both predictive and explanatory. It has built into it certain ontological and epistemological premises that I have some doubts about. 2. Dark energy is nothing more than a conjectured-to-exist entity until we have a better explanation for the effects that it was conjectured to explain. We have never actually detected it. What we have detected is that certain super-novae seem to have light that appears to indicate that the super-novae are accelerating away from us. This was an unexpected observation that was not predicted by the Big Bang theory so the BBT was amended to include a new entity. So be it. But my line of questions is: At what point are we going to keep adding entities to BBT before we start wondering if there is something fundamentally wrong with it?

It is not possible to prove that something exists in an absolute sense, for who is the ultimate arbiter of that question? So, I can present you with a box that I claim contains a coin weighing so many grams and blah blah, but you have to observe it to know for yourself and you might just happen to be under the influence of some psychoactive substance that prevents you from seeing clearly... Or worse case scenario, you might be a victim of a brain-in-a-vat situation... We have to go through our epistemology and ontology theories to be sure that they are at least consistent.

Onward!

Stephen