I'm surprised by John's apparent failure to grasp the point too. I'm
used to John's self-certainty, but I'm not accustomed to him being
dumb. John, you seem hung up on the point about duplicating the 1-p
perspective and whether or not this is possible, but it all seems to
be a matter of semantics. In your symmetrical room, you've essentially
created fungible instances of a consciousness - identical in all
respects, but with *possibility* to diverge at any moment. Before the
duplication, no possibility of divergence existed. Such a scenario is
not a contradiction of comp or even relevant to the UDA at all really,
as far as I can tell. You've merely delayed the moment at which the
diaries diverge. You agree that the two identical consciousnesses do
not experience themselves in two places at once, neither before they
diverge from fungibility nor after, so you agree with Bruno. That's
the only point that matters. You're stuck on arguing about whether 1p
can be duplicated while missing the point that all Bruno is really
saying when he claims that 1p can't be plural is that the subjective
experience of 1-p cannot be plural, i.e., you can't feel yourself to
be in two places at once. Your comments indicate you see this. You
seem to be trying to read something more into this step of the UDA
than there is. It's a trivial step. I'm sure if we reduce it to
computers you'll agree. Let's take a computer that receives external
input and records it in memory - attached cam. Take that computer,
stop it, dismantle it and duplicate it in two different locations. The
new computers are switched on. Now their memory traces (diaries) show
a discontinuity, switching, as per teleportation, to their new
locations. If their new locations were visualIy identical, sure, their
memory states won't diverge yet, but that's not the point. Now f comp
is true, then these machines might be conscious machines, so the
memory trace will correspond to two separate subjectivities. If you
agree with all this, you agree with Bruno and there's nothing more to
argue about.