On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are the only one defining free will in terms of an absence of
> causality. I see clearly that causality arises out of feeling and free
> will.

It isn't the absence of causality, it isn't the presence of causality.
What does that leave?

>> Yes. Why shouldn't you have laws of the form
>> "If <<see kitten>> then <<feel warm and gooey>>" ?
>
> Because there is no logic to it. If you are positing a universe ruled
> by laws of mechanistic logic, then you are required to demonstrate
> that logic somehow applies to feeling, which it doesn't. If you have
> mechanism, you don't need feeling. You can have data compression and
> caching without inventing poetry.

By this reasoning nothing can ever have an adequate explanation, since
if the explanation offered for A is B, you can always ask, "But why
should B apply to A?"; and if the answer is given, "Because empirical
observation shows that it is so" you can dismiss it as unsatisfactory.

--
Stathis Papaioannou