On 28 Jun 2012, at 22:18, Brian Tenneson wrote:

What I meant is an omnipotent being being able to manipulate what is actually, absolutely true (so in a parallel 2+2 might actually be 17). Not manipulate the perception of truth.

You can just define a new addition "+" by the rule x + y = the usual sum of x and y added to 15 with 15 being the usual (s(s(s(s(s(s(s(s(s(s(s(s(s(s(s(s(0))))))))))))))))))).

But again, this does not make 1+1=2 relative. It is just a change of the definition. It means we are not talking about 1, + and 17.

If you believe that a God can change the truth value of 1+1=2, with their standard meaning, then such a God is inconsistent with elementary arithmetic, meaning that it does not exist. I am not sure what that someone would even mean when saying that 1+1=17, with their standard meaning.

1+1 ≠ 17 in *all* interpretations of the elementary axioms of arithmetic.

Bruno