Evgenii, great questions

2012/7/30 Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru>

> On 30.07.2012 11:19 Alberto G. Corona said the following:
>

> What do you mean by "the world of the mind is different form the
> phisico-mathematical world"? Is this as by Descartes res cogitans vs. res
> extensa?

As you said, it is a matter of common sense and Descartes had it.  But it
can be also derived from the Computational hypothesis in virtue of it, even
monist materialists have to accept the world of the mind, (and I need the
opinion of Bruno) because two different "material substrates" can support
the same mind. Materialism is a monism but has a hidden dualism that is
converted back into monism by the process of avoiding delicate questions,
for example the nature of perceptions and the nature of the suppossedly
"external" phenomenons that they affirm that they study, This i suspect,
does not resist a deep examination. Within the monist sceintist,  It
resurfaces in the mathematical nature of reality that implies a dualism
between matter and (some) mathematics. That is because matter ,and
 perceived phenomenons of "reality" are nothing but mental categories like
electron, Person, among other more abstract like USA or Vanity or Essence,
 all of them have some correspondence with the outer world, that I argue,
is purely mathematical. This is the world outside of the mind. Any way you
take it, wether the mind is a product of the matter or the opposite or
something else, there are two different realities. no matter if you put
both in a single substance, or you divide them

>>> [Our phenomenology conform a common, communicable reality among us

>>> Let me ask Max Velmans' question again. According to neuroscience,
>>> all conscious experience including visual is in the brain. Hence,
>>> according to the ultimate causes, is the brain in the world or the
>>> world in the brain? What would you say?
>>>

>> Again, this question is quite important, as we have to define what
>>
>>> observation is. Does for example observation happens in the brain
>>>

>> The activity of the brain is the mind and the mind is a separate
>> world that includes all that can be perceived. What is outside of the
>> mind may just plain mathematics. What we call phisical world is in
>> reality set of phenomenons perceived by the mind. Observations happen
>> in the mind. We can repeat and verify experiments because we live in
>> the same mathematical reality outside of the mind, and because our
>> minds have similar architecture and experience, so we have the same
>> language, interests, experimental machines, procedures, so, as Eric
>> Voegelin said, we live in a shared social mind.
>>

> I am not sure if I understand. How do you connect these two assumptions:
>

> "What we call phisical world is in reality set of phenomenons perceived by
> the mind."
>
> "because we live in the same mathematical reality outside of the mind"
>
> Do you mean that the world outside of the mind is congruent with the
> perceived world by the mind?
>
> Yes. This is not magical, but a product of natural selection. Our mental
world is made to support life, and life is the art of maintaining and
reproducing our bodies, that live outside of the mind. A computer can
simulate anythnig we want, but our brains are dedicated computers devoted
full time to carefully examine the external reality that appear to our
perception as phenomenons or else, we would not survive. Some irrealities
can be accepted  when they are in a trade-off with other more valuable
knowledge, or the perception is too expensive. We do not see individual
dangerous bacterias for example, but we avoid  them by smell and taste and
some visual clues,  well before we noticed its existence.

So when we have in front of our eyes  an arrangement of atoms that has
direct or indirect meaning for our purposes, we identifty and classify it
according with his "use": men, women, disgusting, pleasing, horses,
experiments, countries..but also atoms, electrons and so on. And we proceed
acordingly. None of these things exist outside of the mind, but what we are
sure of is that outside there is something that make all of us perceive the
same things and it respond with certain laws that we have discovered that
are mathematical. So both are congruent because the mind evolved to be
congruent, but not only congruent, but congruent in  certain defined ways.
There is a branch called evolutionary epistemology that study the
epistemological consequences of the evolved nature of our mind.

>  However, The COMP hypothesis it is possible to parsimoniously
>> substitute every component of the brain by a silicon analogue without
>> the mind being aware of the change. this , for me, makes the question
>> "were our minds come from" a mistery
>>

> Do you know Bruno's theorem? If yes, what do you think about it?

Yes, I agree with the first steps, but do not see the need of computing the
universe. rather than that, I see that the living beings compute and this
computational nature of living beings impose very strict requirements for
an existent universe that  exist, that is, can be observed by life forms.
Rather than deciding arbitrarily that a universe must be mathematical or
computational or absent from contradictions, is the computational nature of
life what imposes a mathematical universe with smooth, continuous
macroscopical phisical laws under  reusable mathematical structures that
appears again and again in different contexts. This is the only way for
living beings to evolve  and to evolve minds capable of understanding  the
universe. Otherwise, the  brain necessary for a complex universe would be
too complex  for natural selection to design it and even life would not
appear in the first place.

>>> An example of ultimate causes may be the theory of Relativity,

>>> In your presentation you use terms causation and computation. How
>>> would you define them?
>>>
>>> Causation is a consequence of life, that proceed in a definite
direction, the direction of entropy increase. In a space-time  unverse ,
such is the solutions of general theory of relativity or the M theory,
there is no notion of beginning nor end.  some solutions are represented as
a four dimentional bell with a singularity in the peak of the bell. For
example:

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbl4DxQDMxQPWgT9KC5I-W14ykhrOC7vKfGIk3YhxVHLgsP2_W

That´s all. No beginning , no end . No time. No causes. Is our urge for
seeing our arrow of time represented in the bell, and to add some
causalities what adds to the figure a notion of principle, in the
singularity and a a initial "explosion" (why not implosion back?) .  This
is unavoidable, but it is not something phisically demanded by the
equations.

But why we see causes and efects and time-dependent phisical laws? . Our
local experiments in physics do have causalities and time because we
observe them going trough our arrow of time. We see  photons emerging from
a bulb. We do not  see photons converging to the bulb and heating the metal
in the bulb in a way that produce electricity back.  In this case the
causes and effects would reverse. This reverse process is compatible with
the microphisical laws and we would observe it in this same universe if our
lifes would proceed in the reverse arrow of time, but this is not the case
and moreover, it is impossible, because a this reverse arrow produce
umpredictable phenomenons such  are "miracolous" convergences of photons in
lightbulbs and thus are not computable.  A living being could not make use
of the environment and would die (or disintegrate). so life is not possible
in this reverse direction. That is what I try to demonstrate in my
presentation and in the associated documents.

The fact that macroscopical phisical laws(like the law of thermodinamics,
the achimedes principle, the dynamic of bodies reduced to the dynamic of
its center of gravity etc) do have a arrow of time while microscopical laws
do not obey to the same reasons why life is possible in this direction and
not in the opposite: we can reason about whole macroscopical objects in the
entropy increase direction, but in the opposite direction we are forced to
consider individual particle by particle trajectories.

 Under the idea of four dimensional (or higuer dimensional) block
>>> universe
>>>
>> where time are included and everithing is static, causality does not
>> exist. The M theory describes a timeless manifold, but there are
>> partial phisical laws, that describe particular local phenomenons,
>> that uses time as parameters, but these phisical laws which take time
>> as parameter, do not have a preference for a particular arrow of
>> time, so, as I try to show,  heat in the air can rearrange the pieces
>> of a porcelain vase and push it up to the table. causality appears in
>> our time-oriented mind, who proceed, as I try to demonstrate in the
>> presentation, in the computable direction , the direction of entropy
>> increase. for this reason causes are less entropic that consequences.
>> is the drop of the vase what causes his crash because entropy
>> increase is the direction of life and we observe it this way.
>>

>>  Let us say that there is some conglomerate of atoms. When it
>>> computes and when not?
>>>
>>> From a black-box perspective, they compute when they are open to to
>>> the
>>>
>> environment and they maintain its internal entropy. That may be the
>> definition of life too. From inside, they must live in a predictable
>> environment with smooth phisical laws where entrophy dangers and
>> opportinities can be discovered to react appropriately
>>

> I would suggest to consider a series as follows:
>
> A greath exercise,

> 1) A rock;

A rock does not compute but it may be said that  it maintain its internal
order by generating a newtonian force equal and opposed to every force
exerted against it. So it may be considered that perform a analogical
computation. But a rock does not preserve and extend its information by
reproduction.

> 2) A ballcock in the toilet;

It is an analogical device with a detector (the piece thar floats) and an
actuator  (the piece that closes the flux of water) . Both are solidary.
The computation is the most simple possible: upon a threshold the flux of
water is interrupted.

> 3) A self-driving car;

A self driving car  can maintain temporally its internal order by acting as
consequence of computations that take sensory information as input. The
crankshaft is an analogical computer that coordinate the cycle of the
engine cilinders. But this order can not last across generations unless
humans repair, maintain the information of how to build it and assemble
more. His life status may be the less than the one of a virus.

 4) A living cell.

A living cell perform chemical computations. For example. upon contact or
the receptors of the membrane with certain proteins, it trigger a reaction
that make the membrane localy permeable to accept this protein . the
mcrobiological literature is full of chains of chemical  reactions  to
produce ATP, sugars, proteins, using gene sequences , enzymes,  RNA etc,
that are the computations performed by the cell in order to maintain its
internal order, Also to reproduce, to segregate substances for other cells,
if they are social cells and so on. Schneider page about molecular machines
is very good. It defines clear definitions for entropy and information for
such molecular machines. http://www.ccrnp.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/paper/

computations for life is the art of achieving good internal correlations
between chemical and neurological systems in a way that every possible
input produces an output that is good for the system. The engineer that
select such correlation is the process of natural selection. If the
correlations are good, the living being survive. if not, another mutant
variation can solve the problem and survive. In the process, natural
selection construct a genetic storage and transmission system,  an
enzimatic machinery to execute the genetic program and produce proteins, a
replication system, a sensory system, a information processing center,  i.e
a brain, and actuators to execute responses and so on in multicellular and
social systems.