On 03 Aug 2012, at 01:43, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

Evgnii,. The question is that the mind is not the brain in the same way that Microsoft Word running in a computer ins not the computer. The intuitive notion of location of our self, our mind behind de eyes and thus inside the skull is not a mere derivation of the fact that the brain is located there, but it is different. It is a evolutionary adaptation, and a adaptation is a design, that is for good reasons our intuition in location of our self is in the head. But the fact that is is an adaptation and not something derived from the position of the brain is that the mind can be cheated to be located in a separated place. Wiht a camera and a monitor and glasses of virtual realtiy it is possible to cheat ourseves, and think that we are behind our bodies.

We think thar our self is in the head because in this way we control better ourselves and we can react to inmediate dangers better.( That is why fighter pilots, that need heavy feedback and agile movements fly with their machines, while the spy and air to ground missions can be managed remotely)

but the mind is not in the phisical space . Rather that that, in the kantian sense, space , the intuitive space, the euclidean space, seems to be the way the mind organize the objects of his perception. This space may be isomorphic with the space of the phisical world, but is not the same. Think for example of a program which simulate a 3D space with objects which receive feedback from the physical space trough a camera. Both spaces are siimlar, but the simulated space do not "use" phisical space.

so when a person look at his hand, he is perceiving his hand, and by definition the hand he sees is in his mind. This hand is not in the phisical space, it is in the mental space. it is not in the phisical world. it is in the mental world. But there is a phisical hand. Is natural selection the designer that assures that his phisical hand is doing what is mental hand his doing, Except if it is an schizofrenic, is using allucinatory drugs or has some serious deficiency. It natural selection the designer that discard "bad" mental perceptions of reality.

However, this does say nothing about the nature of the phisical world. The fact taht two persons see the same does not assure that the phisical world is that way. Both can be in a Matix world, where his sensory nervous terminations are conected to a computer simulation. And still both perceive space and objects. But this arangement can not evolve as a result of any natural process,

If we are machine, then that arrangement did evolve (in a logical non temporal sense) from a very special natural number atemporal process. Which indeed is not a "natural process" in the aristotelian sense. This is testable, for that atemporal process can be described through computer science and mathematics. Thanks to QM in physics, and Gödel in math, computationalism (we are local relative digital machine) fits with the empirical physics, up to now.

Bruno