On 17 Aug 2012, at 20:53, meekerdb wrote:

On 8/17/2012 10:30 AM, Roger wrote:

Hi meekerdb

In my view (perhaps not yours) things are as they are and move as they
do for a reason, called "sufficient reason".

Science is the pursuit of sufficient reasons.

I doubt that. I think science is about finding good explanations, and "good" means having scope, consilience, and predictive power - not necessarily deterministic.

I agree with this. Science, or fundamental science is just trying to figure out a coherent global picture of reality, enough clear so as to be able to be tested.

Determinism is the belief that sufficient reasons exist.

Then it is a false belief since it has been found that some events are random.

I doubt this, and I doubt we could ever be sure to have found something random. But we can deduce the existence of some form of randomness from a theory, like both comp and QM-Everett, predicts a first person (subjective) indeterminacy. But it is due to self- multiplication, and is only "real" at the epistemological level. Both in comp and in QM the big picture is static and deterministic.

Bruno

And God (or some other creator) is the sufficient reason for why there is a universe and not nothing.

Then what's the sufficient reason for God? You slip in extra baggage by adding "creator". Either "God" is just a placeholder for what we don't know yet (God of the gaps) or we can terminate the inference chain without it.