On 8/25/2012 4:31 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
We do things because of the laws of nature OR we do not do things because of the laws of nature, and if we do not then we are random.

We might do things because the laws of arithmetic. With comp Nature is not in the ontology. You are assuming physicalism here, which is inconsistent with computationalism.

I don't see that John is assuming that physics is fundamental. If computationalism="conscious thought arises from some kinds of computation." it may still require that those kinds of computation, the ones giving rise to conscious thought, must also give rise to some form of physics; that there cannot be conscious thought without physics.