On 8/29/2012 4:10 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com <mailto:whatsons...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > It's worth mentioning that Turing did not intend his test to
    imply that machines could think, only that the closest we could
    come would be to construct machines that would be good at playing
    The Imitation Game.

No you are entirely incorrect, that is not worth mentioning. There is no difference between arithmetic and simulated arithmetic and no difference between thinking and imitation thinking.

    > I have used the example of a trashcan lid in a fast food place
    that says THANK YOU.

And when a employee of a fast food restaurant says "THANK YOU" to the 47'th customer for the 47'th time in the last hour he puts about as much thought into the message as the trash can did.

  John K Clark

--
Hi Craig,

    John C. Has a very good point here. The difference is in the framing.

--
Onward!

Stephen