On 9/10/2012 12:28 AM, Russell Standish wrote:
On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 07:24:02AM -0400, Stephen P. King wrote:
Dear Bruno,

     Could you explain a bit more what the experience of "being
conscious in a completely atemporal mode" was like? Where you aware
of any kind of change in your environment? Was one's internal
narrative (of external events) silent?

     I have always suspected that "subjective time might be a result
of self-consciousness" but have not had any way of discussing the
idea coherently. If we stipulate that "subjective time" is a form of
noticing that one is noticing changes (a second order aspect) in
one's environment, then this would fall into being a result of
self-consciousness (which is obviously a second order effect at
least to me). I have debated this idea before on this List with
Russell Standish but we didn't seem to reach any definite
conclusion.

Your proposition is basically what my TIME postulate is all
about. What Bruno is suggesting is that the smoking of certain plants
induces a conscious state that contradicts TIME. I'm not prepared at
this stage to follow in his footsteps, so have to simply take his
observations (and of others in the Salvia forum) on face value. I do not
know how TIME may be modified to reconcile it with this observation,
yet remain in place for the deduction of quantum mechanics.

Cheers

Hi Russell,

Perhaps what happens under these conditions is that the second order aspect is not measured and thus not observed. This would have the effect of making the passage of event into a continuous flow where we don't feel that change is happening at all. It would be like watching a clock and not noticing difference from the past positions of the hands; one would just be continuously in the moment of the position at the time. This would indicate an action of short term memory.

--
Onward!

Stephen