The current USA space-based ICBM defense system (on paper) consists of
autonomous kill vehicles separately orbiting the earth (10,000 of
them). Each  KV decides if an *ICBM has launched and they divert from
orbit to hit the  ICBM before burn-out. Canavan and Teller in vented
that system in response to the inherent vulnerability of placing the
KVs on an orbiting platform. These space robots are pre-determined to
respond when conditions are approperiate. So they cannot do anything
they want. But of course a soldier also cannot. I think this may be an
appropriate post for 9/11/12.
Richard