On 9/14/2012 8:07 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Craig Weinberg
Fortunately or unfortunately, capitalism is Darwinism, pure and simple.
So it can prepare for a better future, although it can be painful
at present. My own take on this is that there needs to be
a calculus of pleasure and pain. Jeremy Bentham suggested
perhaps an impfect one.
In lieu of that, I am all for food stamps and safety
nets.
Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net <mailto:rclo...@verizon.net>
Dear Roger,

I completely disagree. Darwinism does not consider valuations beyond the concept of relative fitness. Capitalism is a theory of valuation and exchange between entities. It does include concept that are analogous to those in darwinism, just as the "fitness" of a trader to make multiple trades, and so I can see some analogy between them, but to claim equivalence is simply false.

IMHO, Food stamps and safety nets encourage risky behavior that is better if suppressed for the general welfare of the population, thus I am against them in principle. Why work to sustain my physical existence with my own toil if I can depend on the coercive taxation on others to sustain me?

--
Onward!

Stephen