From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-09, 16:23:54
Subject: Re: Racism ? How's that implied ?

On Sunday, September 9, 2012 2:58:32 PM UTC-4, Stephen Paul King wrote:
On 9/9/2012 2:21 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Sunday, September 9, 2012 1:41:37 PM UTC-4, Stephen Paul King wrote:
Hi Craig,

Why are we even considering the thoughts of paranoids? Are they in control of
our daily lives?

Hi Stephen,

I agree, I was responding to what Roger said about liberals:

 "ironically and  paradoxically they see the world in terms of race.
Conservatives attempt to live by facts. I never
saw racism in what what I wrote until you brought
the subject up."

which sounded to me like 'conservatives aren't racist, liberals are', which -
although conservative thought has some admirable virtues, I can say without
hesitation that tolerance for racial and gender diversity is not one of them.
That's why I brought up JBS and KKK, to show the absurdity of that claim, since
the most racist hate groups are known to be political right wing extremists and
not left wing extremists.

HI Craig,

    The contest of recrimination is not winnable, but let's try for the sake of
the discussion.

Personally I don't know of any left wing extremist groups in this country - not
that there aren't any but even self-proclaimed anarchists seem to stay out of
trouble.

    I guess that you have never heard of

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_First!

2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Liberation_Front

I had heard of Earth First but not much. Yeah, I think it's fair to call them
left wing eco-terrorists. Unfortunately the way they are going about it, using
arson and destruction will only serve to discredit their cause and provide a
ready excuse for stepping up surveillance and security operations around the
world. I don't think that mainstream liberals are aware or support groups like
this though generally. Contrary to the overwhelming drift to the right by
conservatives, groups like these have not seemed to influence the politics of
the mainstream (Democrats can't really even be called liberals, more like
fiscal conservatives who are socially moderate).

3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenpeace

What do they do that is bad? Do they threaten innocent people? Maybe they are
over-zealous and unrealistic about ecological priorities but it's a drop in the
bucket compared to the global machine they are up against. From what I see it
looks like they mainly are concerned with protecting human beings in general:
http://yqyq.net/81737-Istoriya_i_dostizheniya_Greenpeace.html

Certainly they are not racists or bullies of innocent people.

4) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Students_for_a_Democratic_Society

SDS lasted from 1960-1969, so it hasn't been relevant for almost 50 years. I
had a professor who was in SDS. Extremely nice and gentle guy. He said he had a
metal plate in his skull from the FBI. His class was on revolutionary
movements, talked about SDS, the IWW and labor unions. He seemed to have a
mature and reasonable perspective on the 60s

need more?

sure. my point was about racism though. Are there any groups of white racists
who are liberal?

In other parts of the world, there are certainly left-wing violent extremists
but I don't guess that they are racially motivated in particular (unless maybe
the distribution of wealth and power falls along racial lines in their area).
What are the left wing presences in the US? Farmers markets? Small
organizations that try to help people get birth control or protect people from
being poisoned by industry?

    It might be helpful if you laid out for us the definition of the terms that
you are using. What exactly is left-wing and right-wing?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-wing_politics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_politics

    Why can't we just get along?

The left wing are those who see themselves as being the people who want to just
get along or, if politically active, oppose those who prevent us from getting
along. Left wing means tolerance, which means a certain degree of intolerance
of intolerance. That's where it gets dicey.

I'm not sure who the right wing thinks they are. Patriots? Grownups who don't
like to see people get anything without paying a price? Not sure.

To my mind, while I can understand why liberals would be criticized as whiny,
weak, and impractical, I think conservatives who do not understand why they are
criticized as racist, anti-intellectual bullies are in deep denial or just
sheltered from other viewpoints.

Craig

    From my point of view we need objectivity.

I'm on board with that.

Tell me why didn't trickle down economics work? Why did Bush's 8-year
presidency end in such catastrophic failure? Why haven't the corps making
record profits behaved as the 'job creators' they are supposed to be?

Craig

--
Onward!

Stephen