From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-05, 10:42:30
Subject: Re: A "grand hypothesis" about order, life, and consciousness

On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:05:06 AM UTC-4, rclough wrote:

So it is reasonable to define life as that which can produce order
out of chaos" *. Since at least higher living beings
also possess consciousness, my "grand" hypothesis is that

life = consciousness = awareness = producing order out of chaos.

I agree Roger. I would add to this understanding however, a logarithmic sense
of increasing quality of experience.

human experience = consciousness > animal experience = awareness > microbiotic
experience = sensation > inorganic experience = persistence of functions and
structures.

I would not say producing order out of chaos because I think that chaos is not
primordial. Nonsense is a mismatch or attenuation of sense, not the other way
around. Order cannot be produced from chaos unless chaos implicitly contains
the potential for order...which makes the production of orderly appearance
really just a formality.

Craig